May 10, 200– Today at 2:30 p.m. CST (1:30 p.m. MDT) in El Paso, Texas, President Obama is beginning a series of conversations on his vision for America’s broken immigration system and the impact fixing it will have on the economy.
“We are the first nation to be founded for the sake of an idea—the idea that each of us deserves the chance to shape our own destiny,” said President Obama in his State of the Union address in January. “That’s why centuries of pioneers and immigrants have risked everything to come here…The future is ours to win. But to get there, we cannot stand still.”
Some of the items President Obama plans to outline as part of his vision for the country’s immigration system are:
- Continuing to fulfill the federal government’s responsibility to securing our borders;
- Demanding accountability for businesses that break the law by undermining American workers and exploiting undocumented workers;
- Strengthening our economic competiveness by creating a legal immigration system that reflects our values and diverse needs; and
- Requiring responsibility from people who are living in the United States illegally.
Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Watch the speech live at WhiteHouse.gov/live
- Join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #immigration
- Share your thoughts on immigration reform through Advise the Advisor